Dealing with Deficits
Tackling a deficit in government can often be an enormously difficult task.
That’s why the Manning Centre put together our “Dealing with Deficits” education series.
In the videos below you’ll find insight and advice from past elected officials who have successfully tackled deficit situations. In addition to those clips, we've put together short videos that examine 10 strategies you can explore to reduce spending and how to communicate spending restraint to the public.
- Mike Harris - Discusses how he balanced Ontario's budget for the first time in decades
- Kevin Falcon - Shares his experience as a former B.C. Minister of Finance and cabinet minister
- Joe Oliver - Discusses his advice as to how a government should tackle a deficit situation
- Stockwell Day - Discusses how he was able to negotiate a 5% salary reduction for employees - without a strike
- Dan Ashton - Discusses how he froze Penticton's property taxes for three straight years
- 10 Ways to Cut Spending - Colin Craig examines 10 spending reduction strategies that elected officials can explore
- Communications Advice - Scott Hennig discusses how governments can effectively communicate the need for spending restraint
We hope this material is helpful - please share it with your friends and elected officials!
Mike Harris, Premier of Ontario (1995-2002)
In this clip Mike Harris shares his advice as to how to successfully tackle a deficit situation.
Kevin Falcon, former B.C. Minister of Finance
In this clip Kevin Falcon draws on his experience as a former provincial finance minister and cabinet minister to discuss how to tackle a deficit situation.
Hon. Joe Oliver, former federal Minister of Finance
In this video Joe Oliver discusses his advice as to how a government should tackle a deficit situation. (This presentation is from the 2017 Manning Centre Conference panel discussion - 'Dealing with Deficits' and includes presentations from Adrienne Batra (Toronto Sun editor) and Larry Berman (Co-Founder ETF Capital Management)
Hon. Stockwell Day, former Leader of the Official Opposition, former Minister of Labour for Alberta
In this clip we discuss the 5% pay reduction Stockwell Day was able to negotiate with labour unions during the early 1990s.
Dan Ashton, former Mayor of Penticton, current MLA for Penticton
In this clip Dan Ashton discusses how he was able to freeze property taxes for three years and control spending at city hall.
Colin Craig, author, public policy advisor
In this clip Colin Craig examines 10 ways governments can cut spending.
Scott Hennig, Vice-President of Communications with the Canadian Taxpayers Federation
In this clip Scott Hennig shares his advice on how governments can effectively communicate spending restraint.
To view the chapter Scott co-wrote with Tasha Kheiriddin in "How to Cut Public Spending (and Still Get Elected)" – click here
To purchase the book – click here